Thursday, April 10, 2008

Blogging etiquette

I was really impressed by the latest issue of Artful Blogging by the Stampington Company!

There was some really great stuff in this issue, but one of the things discussed was Blogging Etiquette.

Here are some do's and don'ts , taken straight from this issue:

Do: Comment on a post if you found it enjoyable or moving. Bloggers love to hear when their efforts are appreciated.

Don't: Make comments that are irrelevant to the post of the site in general. A lot of readers find comments that have nothing to do with the topic disruptive to the conversation in process. Most especially, DO NOT COMMENT, just to link your own blog, that borders on spam!!

Do: Respond to people who leave comments on your blog, either in an email or by visiting their blog, if they've left a link. Visiting and commenting is essential to building that valued sense of community.

Don't: Comment anonymously. This is considered the height of bad manners in the blogging world. If you cannot own up to your words, then maybe you should keep them to yourself. If you want to keep your comments private, consider emailing them instead.

Do: Link to another blog when you mention it, especially if you are reposting any content. It's only fair to give credit where it's due.

Don't: Link to someone else's images. If you must show something in your own blog, upload the picture to your own server before displaying it on your Web_ and make sure you give proper attribution in the post. For extra points, check with the original poster to make sure it's OK if you use it.

Do: Let your readers know if you're to be away from your blog for a while, and tell them when you'll be back. That way, they won't have to keep checking back to look for a post that doesn't appear.

Don't: Ask someone to link to your Website or blog. Instead, invite them to visit and comment something you've posted. If they like what they see, they'll probably link it without being asked.

Remember blogging is a social activity, so the same basic principals that govern any social interaction should apply. Be thoughtful. Be courteous. Be kind.

-- Taken straight from the Spring 2008 issue of Artful Blogging

Ok, let's talk straight...

I love to blog, it's therapeutic for me.
I have met so many AMAZING people.

When I blog, I do to some extent, hope for comments. I guess it's validation or assimilation that I seek.

I constantly check my emails to see if any one has posted a comment, and when there isn't anything, I am somewhat disappointed.

I guess it is the age old yearning for communication and kindred ship.

I want to be heard! Period!

Do I comment on EVERY SINGLE blog I read! NO! But, if I am moved, inspired, or I felt some sort of symmetry then of course I will comment!

To be honest, my mind races a million miles per minute, so I BLOG HOP, I go to my many bookmarked blogs and I read blog, after blog...

I sometimes make a mental note to make a comment, but then I get sidetracked...

Do you feel that if you make a comment on someone else's blog, that they should automatically post a comment on yours?
I say yes, and no! If I make a one time comment on your blog, then NO.
but, if I am a regular poster of your blog, I think that it is only courtesy to drop by and make a comment on my blog.

Does this make me angry? NO! Not at all, because blogging is therapy for me..

It's just like writing in a journal...
It's a place where I can vent...I can create....I can share, I can reach out...I can tell you things about myself...

I grow each day as I blog..

I have become a more critical thinker..
A better writer
A better listener
A more understanding person...

What do you think?

What are the do's and don't's of your blogging style...

I am more of a BLOG READER, than I am a blogger...

I only blog when I have something to say...

I have dry spells...when I don't blog for days, even weeks...

It's only because I don't have anything to say...

I don't blog for anyone other than DANA...
Yes, it's nice to read the comments, but I blog for myself! KWIM?

Now, I don't mind anonymous comments, just as long as they are cordial...

I have had some really IGNORANT people post nasty ANONYMOUS comments on my blog, but like Staci said "I shake the HATERS OFF". I agree if you don't have anything positive to bring to DANA'S CAFE, then don't say ANYTHING AT ALL.. And why be a coward, if you stand by your words, be proud of them and post your real identity...

Baptiste doesn't get this whole blogging thing..
He is more of a MYSPACE, person, but I will forever and always be a BLOGGER

I am interested in knowing what your thoughts are...
Leave me a comment
What is your take on this?

11 comments:

Benita said...

Thanks for posting those do's & don't's of blogging.....very informative & useful.

Sarah Coggins said...

Great post, Dana! :) I think our blogging manners are similar. I comment quite often on blogs I read, but mostly when I feel I can add something to the conversation.

Heather said...

Thanks for posting this! Very informative. I usually post a comment on the blogs I frequent. But not if I don't have something valid or positive to say. I don't understand people who post rude or nasty comments.
I agree about enjoying comments on my own blog. It's like getting good mail!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post on the blogging etiquette and the info about the magazine The Artful Blogger.I have sent you an email because I don't think my original post went through.I needed this info because I didn't know!(LOL)I would always post anonymous because I don't have a blogger account.I though the blog owner could see my email address (Because I have gotten responses before) I am trying to learn though so thanks.
I enjoy reading your blog,
Des

Cynta said...

good points Dana, where did you get the magazine is it online? Just curious. I comment on a blog post when I have something to say or add to the convo.

scrappinsista said...

Love reading your blog Dana as i have said before it is one of my favorite blogs to read i am on yours everyday just to see what you have to talk about today. as for me i blog when i have something to blog about other then that i don't blog everyday but i love reading them

emily said...

I am with you! I enjoy reading comments and knowing that someone has somehow connected to what I'm saying...and it's nice to be heard. Getting comments on my blog is almost like getting real mail mixed in with the bills & junk mail! I blog hop also...and try to leave comments as often as possible..unless I've gotten sidetracked! Thanks for the do's/don'ts.I've been thinking about getting that mag issue. I think I may...

Bonita Rose said...

DAMMMM good post gf... I agree with u 100 percent.. I swear ur just another version of me.. LOL .. and I agree.. I blog too, for ME!! IT'S THERAPEUTIC for me.. for sure... and the friends and ppl I have met have been absolutely amazing.. like you!
Loveya gf.... loved your post.. Just loved it... big hugs. Thanks for being here.

Aimeslee Winans said...

Hope you're not missing Baptiste being back at work so much. That walk sounded good. Congrats on the weight loss, it takes so long for so little at a time, but what else are we gonna do? LOL

I skimmed thru that artful blogger book yesterday and it's definitely therapeutic for me, too. But I do get hurt/irked if someone I comment to doesn't return the favor. I'm just Southern that way, the favor should be returned, in the long run. Everyone has bad days and none of us are earning our livings doing this, lol, right?

Adrienne said...

These are neat to read!!!

Janet said...

Great post, Dana! I think a lot of us are just sort of figuring out things as we go in this blogging world. It's good advice for all of us! TFS! Janet