Tuesday, September 26, 2006

What if you had to give up Scrapbooking

I read a thread on the 2peas that made me extremely sad! There was a fellow pea who's husband wants her to give up scrapbooking. I could not fathom giving up something that I enjoy soooo much like scrapbooking. It has just become a part of my life. I have met so many wonderful people because of this hobby. I have learned so many things about my self and unleashed my creative side and my inner Life Artist. I hate to say it, but I think I would just wither up and die. What would I do without twopeas, shopping at Mike's or Joann's or online or Archivers, LSS, QVC...you name it ... What would I talk about? What would I have to look forward to every month, as I am subscribed to several monthly kits. What would my life be like without it. It would be so boring! LOL

I guess I am lucky to have a husband who is supportive and doesn't make a big fuss about what I do. He makes his snide remarks every now and again, but he has no problem with it. He has his hobbies and they are expensive. He just shelled out 500 bucks for some dj software and another 700 for a laptop for his djjing....He plays basketball. He's into fantasy football and XBOX, so if he did complain, I would kick him in the face....lol

Scrapbooking has made my life better and has made me a better person. It is as natural for me as breathing.....
Just made me so sad, to see someone give up their PASSION, something that they truly love and cherish.... just Unbearable for me to even fathom.

How would you feel if you had to give up scrapbooking? Not only give it up, but sell off your supplies and get rid of everything. Could you do it? Would you do it? Even if it was for the sake of your marriage? How would you feel towards your S/O if they asked you to make such a big sacrifice. Would you resent him? How would you convince your mate otherwise?

My whole life revolves around scrapbooking. I know alot of you would agree. Think about it, I got into blogging because of scrapbooking. I blog all the time. I am always on 2peas, checking out the gallery, checking the mb. If not, I am always at Michaels, ARchivers, even Target looking for Scrapbooking stuff, if not that I am scrapbooking, reading an idea book or scrapbooking magazine. Heck! I even dream about scrapbooking. My dad has even called to tell me that scrapbooking is on television or he passed by a scrapbooking store. My family knows how much I love it and while they all may not understand it, they are definitely supportive!

So, in retrospect, what would I have to do if I had to give up scrapbooking.....NOTHING, because I would never give it up.....NEVER!

Dana

8 comments:

justem said...

well..i'd probably have a cleaner house and more money...but be much sadder!!

Anonymous said...

I would be very, very sad. I LOVE scrapbooking...it makes me sad just to htink about it.

Bonita Rose said...

amen sister amen. I feel so much likeyou do.. it would be oh so hard.. it's such a big part of my life... and like em said, yeah, i'd have more $$ too.. but i'd be miserable. SBing has enriched my life in so many ways. Thks for your post dana. it got me thinking.

Cindy Andrews said...

I would have a gapping hole in my heart, my life, my spirit, if I were to give up scrapbooking & stamping. I saw that same post on 2peas too and it truly made me sad - I thought about that pea all day. I don't know any details about her situation, but pray it's not abusive.

Anonymous said...

I can't even begin to imagine giving up scrapping and the parts of my life that comes with it.

Lynn said...

I'm right beside you Dana! I could not believe that thread when I saw it! I was actually shocked.
I too am fortunate... My husband is very supportive. And he should be.. shoot I support everything he does.. boats, building r/c cars and boats from scratch. Building r/c airplanes...his toys(hobbies)cost 4-5 times more than mine! We both want to be happy. I don't know what I would do without scrapbooking... and I'm not going to find out!lol

*krystyn* said...

I actually did give it up but only for 1 year. I missed it but I was so busy with having moved to a new place and my grad school classes that I think I didn't miss it as much as I would have if I wouldn't have had so much going on. I definitely had more money during that year as I find myself buying TOO MANY scrapping supplies these days. I'm glad to have the time for it again though! :-)

Anonymous said...

Love your posting. It is so true that we all have a love of this hobby. I would cry because this is my most creative outlet. If I didn't have scrapbooking, I probably would chew my fingers off. My husband is into the same stuff as yours except the djing. Thank you for having a wonderful blog. Keep on creating!!