Friday, November 03, 2006

Christmas is coming! Christmas is coming!!

It's official!! Christmas is officially here.....I guess you are wondering why I would say that. Well, the kids were fighting over who was going to look at the TOYS R US BIG BOOK first! LOL Luckily for me, I had 2. I watched as Jaree quickly grabbed a marker and started to circle what she wanted. Took pictures, but blogger is acting crazy, will post later. Jariel was looking at each page, examining every inch! They soon came back with a list. Jaree's list was longer than the Nile river and Jariel's was short and sweet. He has always been a very simple child! Notice, I did not mention Bee at all. Well, my 14yr old wants clothes, money, and gym shoes. NO more toys!!!! I just want to break down and cry!

Around this time, my family is so in the Christmas spirit. We sing Christmas carols. We watch movies. Speaking of movies.....the challenge for today was about favorite Christmas movie. I mean do you even have to ask ......A CHRISTMAS STORY!!!! That is my ALL TIME favorite. "You'll shoot your eye out kid!" My kids love it too. My brother and I used to watch this a million times when we were younger. Some of my other fav's include: National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (sooooo funny, when the squirel gets loose in the house), Miracle on 34th street, Charlie Brown Christmas, It's a Wonderful Life, Home Alone, Jingle All the way, and no Christmas would be complete without watching Rudolph the red nose reindeer and not the new one, the old clay version....LOL

OUr family really gets into the Christmas spirit. My dh thinks we are sooo corny, but we have always been this way. Especially my mom. I can remember driving miles, just to look at all of the Christmas decorations. She would bundle us up and take us down town to Santa's workshop and look at all of the awesome Marshall Field's decoration, we always put our tree up the day after Thanksving. It was a family thing. Everyone participated, even my grandmother and once it was done, we drank Hot Choclate and would sing Christmas Carols. Christmas is just not a day for me, it is A FEELING....I love the way it makes me feel. It is truly the MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR....THE HAPPIEST TIME OF THE YEAR for me. Just seeing the glow in my children's eyes when they wake up Christmas morning, brings me to tears. It's almost like winning the lottery every year. Its not all about receiving, its about giving too!

Christmas is smells too... The smell of pine, the smell of cinnamon, the smell of fresh baked cookies, pies, and cakes. I am very good at baking cakes, brownies, and cookies. Haven't mastered the pie thing yet, but hey you can't be good at everything. I love to bake! The family looks forward to my homemade turtle brownies every year! No matter what the occassion, they put me down for brownies....LOL. I can cook good, but I BAKE GREAT! lol

I am starting my shopping this weekend. Just a few things. I really don't start until the day after Thanksgiving. Yes, my sister, my mother and I get up at 4am, have coffee and breakfast, and we are in the store by 5am!!!! I got so many deals last year. It is so worth it! I can't wait!!!

A week before Thanksgiving, i take the kids to Create a Christmas Registry at Toys R Us, that way, I know what I am getting and the aunts, uncles, godparents, can see what I already bought. Works out great!

WEll, I am off to do a few chores. Not much to do, but I am trying to maintain it! I gotta do 2 loads of laundry, clean kitchen, make bed, and prepare dinner! My list keeps getting shorter and shorter. Hot Damn! I'm cooking with gas....LOL

Dana

5 comments:

Vee said...

I absolutely love this time of year as well!

Anonymous said...

lol. christmas is coming! hard to believe. i am definately older!! ;) it never came this quickly when i was a kid!!! its my favorite time too!!!!!!

Brown English Muffin said...

"You'll shoot your eye out kid!" my dh LOVES this movie...that line is classic...

So I was thinking when you're done with "2 loads of laundry, clean kitchen, make bed, and prepare dinner!"....do you think you could possible come over to my house!!! LOL

You've totally got me in the Christmas spirit now....I have to take down my Halloween decorations tonight...I know I should be ashamed they are still hanging right!!! LOL

Lynn said...

I just love your photo of the kids! Awesome!
It is hard to believe that christmas is jusr around the corner. I too, am in the stores at 5am black friday. You know what else, my sister lives across the country and at 8am (5 her time)I'm on the phone with her letting her know what I could not get so she can try to get it for me!yeah for me... I love the deals. Sooooo many!
As for the kids... mine are older an pretty much just ask for money or gift cards. They want to go and pick out their own clothes. I still get them stuff but its not the same.
I love the Christmas Story also,,, but my all time fav is "Mine,Yours, and Ours" the old one with Lucille Ball and Henry Fonda! Just love it.

Cheryl Wray said...

Oh, I love Christmas SO much too! The decorations, the tree-hunting, the shopping, the parties, the lit fireplaces, the music, the candles, the traditions. My entire family is very much into Christmas and is always a great time in our house. We have a lot of special Christmas traditons, but our most meaningful is probably the Advents we do in our home. We also have the annual trek to the Christmas tree farm. And Gary and I have the most special tradition of staying up late, lighting a fire, drinking wine, and exchanging our gifts on Christmas Eve just the two of us. Oh man . . . I think I'm ready for Christmas now just thinking about it!