Sunday, November 26, 2006

Had a blast, now it's time to relax

Whew.....what a week! Wednesday night my immediate family (dh, 3 kids, and I) had our Thanksgiving. I cooked 2 whole chickens, one jerk style, one regular, green beans, candied yams, english roast (so tender), mashed potatoes, wild rice, 3 cheesecakes, and one 7-up upside down cake! I was done with dinner by 7, we ate and spent some quality time watching movies. I was in bed by 10, because I had to wake up early to go to my mom's house. There I was responsible for the baked macoroni and cheese. I helped clean and get things ready. Both my siblings came and their families. I was so excited to see my brother. He barely comes around! You have to enjoy him when you can. We ate like pigs. My mom cooked:turkey and dressing, candied yams, potato salad, chitterlings (ugh, nastyh..LOL), rump roast, ham, spaghetti, and 8 sweet potato pies. Dad cooked greens and cornbread. My sister cooked a HUGE POT OF GUMBO (are we not creole or what?), and bananna pudding, I made the baked macoroni and cheese, 7 up upside down cake andcheese cake, and my brother brought the POP......LOL. I had a spoon ful of everything and still couldn't eat it all......LOL We watched Purple Rain and the kids practiced their dance for the night. We all went into the basement to watch their dance off of (Adrienne your gonna love this..LOL) Walk it out. Even baby Nas, was dancing. That is my brother's son, he is only 2. We laughed and talked for hours and then we put all the food away and the kids cleaned the kitchen (Bless their hearts). We hit the sheets right at mom's house, because we all got up at 4am to hit the doorbusters on Black Friday! My mom, sister and I are pros at this. We have a system. Mom stands in line, while we shop! By the time we are done, it's time to check out....LOL. This year Marcus(my brother) and his fiance Crystal went along! They were oblivious and had to be schooled! LOL My brother usually goes shopping on Christmas Eve and spends a crap load of money. This year he finished all his shopping and only spent 315 bucks, for three kids that is a steal!. I on the other hand did not have such luck. Jariel wanted a PSP and 4 games. I got PSP bundle pack from Target for 249.99 and I got a free 25 dollar gift card. I got 2 of the 4 games. I tackled 8 out of the 5 million things Jaree wanted and have not even started on Bee as his item is online anyways. He wants a camcorder (muy expensivo) and some clothes. I have already got him 3 outfits, so I am only going to get two more. That is it! I have already spent 876.53 and I am not even half way done. Their has got to be a better way....LOL. Dh is less than thrilled too! Next year we are going to do a Christmas club! I thought he did it this year, but he didn't so you know what that means.....CREDIT CARD DEBT! The boys are becoming more and more expensive. They need jobs! LOL

Next year I think I am going to do gift cards with set limits for the boys and Jaree (my only child who still believes in Santa....bohooo) will be the only one with something under the tree. Even though she wants ALOT. I still end up spending way more on the boys. Her most expensive item this year is a Bratz laptop and cartriges for her Leapster. She does end up with about 20+ things under the tree, however they still don't add up to just one of the things the boys wants.

I really should have taken on a part time job, just for the holidays. I usually do this every year. However, are moving situation was up in the air and I was focusing all of my attention on that. I feel bad, because I don't want dh to be drowning in debt. He makes REALLYY, REALLLLLY good money. However, he is the sole provider for the household. I, sometimes feel bad that I don't contribute much towards the household. I do have a nice savings account, that my parents saved for me, since I was a baby, but I really try not to touch it. It's a nest egg for my children and I .....JUST IN CASE! Dh might get tired of me or something.....LOL. I would need something to fall back on, until I can get on my feet. Don't get me wrong. We are very happy in our marriage and have been together for almost 17 years. However, nothing is written in stone. I have to be prepared for ANYTHING!!! My mom did this with all 3 children, mostly for college, but I ended up getting financial aid, because I had a child to take care of..... while in college. Sister, spent her's on the purchase of her home, because she got s 4 year scholarship to Columbia College and brother flew thru his money while in college. He got a 2 year scholarship, as did I, but he ran thru his money fast! He bought a car, some fancy clothes, jewelry, and some of those old girlfriends got their fair share too.....LOL. I touched mine, very few times. Plus I still have money that I got from our wedding. Our wishing well, ws very blessed! LOL I have a very HUGE family. So we got a huge blessing. I have a small, very small checking account, from previous jobs I have held, but that's nothing to brag about.

I am very lucky to have a husband who considers me in his budget. LOL He gives me an ample allowance, and I just feel bad sometimes when I see him struggling to make ends meet. He is very insistant about me not WORKING. He is very old fashioned, in his way of thinking. He believes totally in the man working out of the household and the woman taking care of the household, cooking, cleaning, taking care of the children. He is not very demanding though! He does not mind helping with the cooking, NOT SO MUCH THE CLEANING....but he does help with the kids and the cooking....LOL.

I guess I am very lucky to have him! He is a sweetheart at times....LOL
Didn't mean to ramble on and on....
I will post pics a little later today of our Thanksgiving! We had a great time. Even though my camera was acting stupid. LOL

later taters....

8 comments:

Cheryl Wray said...

I think it's wonderful that you have a hubby who wants you to focus on the family and not have to work! i'm very blessed also to have a dh who believes in my desire to stay home with the kids (although I do some freelancing work, which we have to have or we would always be a little behind!)
Your Thanksgiving celebrations sound WONDERFUL!! All that great food! WOW!! Thanks for all the details about it!!

Heather said...

I miss big dinners with a big family. We just have little ones now. I can't believe you were up at 4am to shop! I just can't do it anymore. Mostly because I get so irritated when people are rude! Hope you didn't run into any of those people.

Aimeslee Winans said...

You never know what is going to happen, ITA. I never thought I'd get sick. I'm very lucky also that DH does what he does, but I have to admit he's supposed to do that, so I'm grateful he does what he's supposed to do, LOL. My bad! Glad you had a great day. xoxo

Colleen said...

Sounds like a full week! Love the dancing story! You certainly do sound as if you have a wonderful family!

Noelia said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with all your family and the food sounds yummy! You truly are blessed with your DH wanting the best for you and the children. Enjoy your SAHM years!

Bonita Rose said...

so nice ur hubby gives you an allowance like that.. wow.... all my hubbys' money is eaten up by bills etc.. he sounds like such a dream! hugs

Brown English Muffin said...

So when can I get your husband talking to my husband!!! I want to be a stay at home mom...but dh says no way!!!!!!!

justem said...

You had a busy weekend!!! Um...three cheesecakes...and I wasn't invited over??? ;)