Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Farewell to Black History Month

Today is the last day of Black History Month. Unfortunately my children did not have a lot of activities at school that honored BHM. I plan to do something with them today. They learn about the basics, Martin Luther King, Frederick Douglas, Rosa Parks, etc... But there were so many AA that have contributed so much to this world. Charles Drew-performed the first open heart surgery. Garret Morgan-invented the stop light. Madam C.J. Walker-first black female millionaire, revolutionized black hair care. George Washington Carver-made many peanut inventions, including peanut butter and peanut oil. It's amazing how much we have contributed to this world.

I am going to get on a committee next year to plan a program in honor of Black History Month. History is very important! When I was a child, the only person we learned about was Martin Luther King, and that we were once slaves. My 5th grade teacher Mrs. Maebane, was the first to introduce me to black history. She told me if you don't know where you came from, you will never know where you are going and that is so true.

So, today I will collect my reports from my children. I had had them draw out of a hat, some infuential African American, from both present and the past. My oldest had to do a 3 page report, my 9 year old a two page report, and my 6 year old, an oral report. They even have a skit planned!! This should be so much fun. My oldest child is so creative. I think its on Rosa Parks, but not sure.

I am going to cook a big dinner (Soul Food, of course lol) and my parents are going to come over and talk to the children about how things were different when they grew up and how far we have come and the importance of education, so that should be interesting. Who knows what the heck will come out of my dad's mouth...lol

Should be fun. Gotta go! I have to go clean GREENS! What fun. I am cooking Collard Greens, Candied yams, Baked Macaroni and Cheese, Ham, and Corned Bread......
My mom is coming over later to help out.

Dana

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to join you for dinner!!

Love your approach to Black History Month! You had quite an awesome 5th grade teacher from the sounds of it, I wish we learned more then only MLK while I was in school.

Enjoy the day!!

Bonita Rose said...

sounds like such a yummy supper..... you all are sure to have such a fun nite together!

Adrienne said...

My daughter's school is the same way. They never have anything for Black History Month! But I keep them well educated! Dinner sounds SO good!

Blessed Ladybug said...

I've been reading you blog, it's really quite interested. Love the blog about family member truss me i can relate. Keep up the good work blogging...ladybugbronxny

Alycia said...

Dana - What a wonderful thing you are doing for your kids! Not just teaching them about important historical figures, but just giving them extra history to learn. You are such a great mom for showing them how important learning is, and it is so great that your family is so close. Your kids are going to be happy, successful, and well-adjusted because of the positive role you have played.

tracie said...

What a great idea having grandma and grandpa to come over and talk about their personal history. That is so important.

I am from Canada and we never honoured Black History Month. I am sad that I missed out some wonderful history in my school years. I have more than made up for it now as adult.

have a great day
tracie

justem said...

You seem like such an awesome mom, Dana. I think forming a committee to plan a program is a great idea. When I was teaching in Chicago it was a very big deal, but now that I am in the suburbs they don't make a very big deal out of it...but I always try to have a unit on black musicians (I'm a music teacher)in February. I wish we had a mom like you to get everyone else to get up and go!!!

Chit Chat With Divagirlrn said...

I wish I could join you for dinner and the great night you're going to have! You're an awesome MOM Dana! Our children definitely need to know what a rich history we have as Black Americans!

Unknown said...

thanks for all your nice comments. I snuck away, while mom and dad were watching idol...lol. I try to keep my children well-educated about their history. I come from an extremely multi-racial family and I try to teach them about all of their history, not just some. Our family origins, include Native American, Irish, French, East Indian, African, and Cuban....wow. That's all I know of so far. I am proud of every bit of what I am, and think we all should be proud. You guys brighten my day, everyime I see your nice comments on my blog. It really adds a little sunshine to my day. Love you guys.

Dana